Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Over the holidays I had a chance to talk with one of my cousins who just got home from his mission and is back in school, but doesn't know what he wants to major in. (We've all been there, right?) Sure, he'll minor in his foreign language, but he doesn't really have anything in mind other than that.

He didn't ask for my advice and I didn't offer any, but having been in that situation myself, I feel like I have something to offer that could be valuable to someone out there. At least I know what I would do differently if I could go back and do it again.

The short answer is this: Major in accounting.

It's simple really. BYU's accounting program is consistently ranked in the top five in the nation, often taking the top spot. As long as you're at BYU primarily for reasons having nothing to do with academics (value, environment, to get married) why not get the most marketable degree they offer while you're there? It works on it's own or as a foundation for med school, law school, etc. If BYU's electrical engineering program was the best in the nation, I'd recommend it for all the same reasons.

The long answer is from Paul Graham: stay upwind, solve problems, and follow your curiosity.

6 comments:

Matt said...

For a similar reason I picked Business Administration. I ask you what career path there is that a Business degree would not be of use?

Clark said...

A business degree would certainly be useful in just about any career path, but not necessarily the most useful. If you want to be an engineer, a business degree is only of secondary value to an engineering degree.

Business/Accounting at BYU (or elsewhere) is probably as good as any if you don't have any strong feelings on the subject or any specific career goals.

Shanny said...

We have one friend who was going to BYU, and then decided that he wanted to go into accounting, and then he transferred to UVSC because the accounting program at BYU is much more difficult to get into. Something to consider.

Dan said...

ummm what about Culinary School?

Matt S said...

You crack me up Dan. How about becoming a college dropout, wallowing in poverty for a few years, picking "computers" because someone said "Hey, you like computers, don't you?" and falling a$$ backwards into a dream job and making some coin while you are at it? Seems like a good path to me!

(Poster not responible for irrational or stupid decisions made from reading this.)

Jeanine said...

Yah, I'd suggest maybe not working towards an English degree. Half of the introductory lecture was spent telling us how to answer the question: "Well, if you're not planning to teach, what are you gonna do with a degree in English?" And no, I don't remember what any of the good answers are.

Post a Comment