Monday, March 31, 2008

So I'm reading this article about the switch to digital broadcasting that will happen next February. I'm one of the minority that relies on analog broadcast television, but I'm not really worried about the switch. (Like many in my situation, I'll probably use the conversion as an excuse to finally get an HDTV--and possibly an HD TiVo to go with it!)

I can't get over this picture in the article, however:



This man lives in a retirement community and it looks pretty cozy. It's clean and nicely furnished with a deliberate, masculine decor. The guy looks pretty tough, or at least he used to be. But check out the teddy bear.

I wonder what kind of meaning it has for him. Did it belong to one of his kids, or his wife? It looks pretty new. But it got me thinking about what kind of objects would be meaningful to me if I were his age, and in his situation. Maybe by the time my kids are grown and gone it will be nice to have some of their old toys around to remind me of when we were all younger.

I know kids sometimes like to keep things around from their childhood, baby blankets and teddy bears and whatnot. It never occurred to me that a parent would have the same inclination towards their kids' toys. Artwork and baby shoes, sure. But now that I think about it, if I'm ever an old man living alone, I think it would be pretty cool to have one of Benjamin's worn out toy swords hanging up on my wall.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

poignant post....


i lol out loud at the last sentence!

Matt S said...

I need someone to explain the self-portrait behind him? Did he really sit shirtless for a painter? That's WAY creepier than the teddy bear.

Post a Comment