Tuesday, October 21, 2008

There is a radio show on NPR on the weekends called Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me which I highly recommend. It's hilarious. (If you're not interested in my political views, stop reading here and pretend this post was just to tell you about that show.)

Anyway, the host of the show, Peter Sagal, writes a blog which I only came across by accident today. And in this particular post, he says basically the same thing I said to one of my co-workers this morning.

Which is this: I wonder if people who believe in conspiracy theories think about everything else that would have to be true in order for their conspiracy theory to be true? In the case of Barack Obama, people are saying all sorts of things about how he is a secret Muslim or a secret supporter of terrorism or whatever other flavor of Manchurian Candidate is in vogue today, without stopping to realize what that would look like in the real world if it were actually true. (Do they?)

My favorite is the theory that 9/11 was an inside job. If it was, it would have been the greatest display of competence the Bush administration had managed to achieve, before or since. It just doesn't make sense that the team who manged to pull off something like that would bungle everything else they attempted so mightily. 9/11 would be their "we can put a man on the moon." Are you kidding me? We can pull off 9/11 but we can't plant a few WMD's in the Iraqi desert?

Peter Sagal put it very well, I think. Conspiracy theories thrive because for many people, the reality is intolerable. It is easier to believe in a conspiracy, no matter how unlikely and convoluted, than accept the facts as they are.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Do you remember that movie with Mel Gibson and Julia Roberts (I think) the name was Conspracy Theory or something like that. I rememeber it being better than I thought it would be.
So anyway since we are on the topic of politics you once said that you were going to vote for Obama or Ron Paul, which seems that it is like choosing between to polar opposites, I was always curious of why you liked those two.

For me I would never vote for Obama because I dont like his left liberal voting record and stand on abortion but if I thought that voting for Ron Paul would make a difference I would seriously consider it.

Shanny said...

A) I love Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me!

B) Thank you for the link to Peter Sagal's blog - I find him enjoyable to read.

and C)Thanks for your thoughts on conspiracy theorists. I agree.

Matt said...

That takes too much thinking for the average theory conspiracy guru.

Suzanne said...

I don't know how they allow you to live in Texas with opinions like that.

Post a Comment