Thursday, October 30, 2008


Quick, what's the first thing that pops into your head when someone mentions cooking and NPR? For me, it's a certain dessert--which shall remain nameless because my mother sometimes reads this blog--made famous by Alec Baldwin on SNL's Delicious Dish. If you're familiar with this particular sendup, you know that the humor lies in the fact that cooking segments on NPR can come across as a little, well, bland.

So it's with great surprise that I find myself seduced by an occasional guest on the station, Nigella Lawson. I've heard her talk about her cooking a few times before, and after this morning's segment, I finally decided to find out more about her.

You know that episode of Scrubs where J.D. asks out a girl stuck in an MRI machine without ever seeing what she looks like, and then rejoices when he finally sees that she is smokin' hot? That's sort of how I felt when I saw a picture of Nigella Lawson. I was already smitten by her voice, but I imagined her to be much older and look like Julia Child or something. Maybe because she speaks the Queen's English, I expected something closer to the queen. Anyway, let's just say I was presently surprised.

2 comments:

Dan said...

one of the great SNL skits, Molly Shannon was so funny.

Suzanne said...

Ah, the Delicious Dish . . .

I love Nigella. I used to watch her on the Food network, or BBC America, or whatever channel it was that she was on at the time. My favorite part was that the show always ended with a shot of her going into the kitchen late at night and eating the leftovers in her jammies. Girl loves her some food.

Post a Comment