Friday, October 3, 2008


There used to be this guy named Richard who worked at our office and liked to talk about TVs. In fact, it got to the point where he wouldn't even bother introducing the topic, because everyone already knew what he was going to talk about. He would just walk into your office and start saying something like, "You know, I've been thinking about it, and I've decided that 32 inches is just too small..."

I'm going to be channeling Richard in this blog post. If TVs aren't your thing, you know what to do.

Simply put, the Sony KD-34XBR960 is the Holy Grail of cathode ray tube (CRT) high definition televisions. I acquired it yesterday.

Sony started manufacturing this television in 2003, and quit about three years later, when the entire industry abandoned CRT technology in favor of flat panel form factors like plasma and LCD. However, most critics agree that the new flat panels still do not measure up to the best CRTs in terms of picture quality. Sure, they're coming closer, and since CRT development has been abandoned, it's probably only a matter of time. But for now, CRT is king. According to CNET:

The bottom line: This is the reference standard for picture quality among direct-view HDTVs and happens to be a great value.
Since 2004, the KD-34XBR960 has been my white whale. I watched it drop in price from its initial list of $2200 to half that when it was finally taken off the market. I watched it go for $1000 on eBay and craigslist over the years. I watched as the official KD-34XBR960 thread at AVS Forums grew to over 6000 posts. And now it's mine. For just $400 from a nice guy on craigslist, including the matching stand.

I hardly know what to do with myself anymore.

4 comments:

Jamal Kirk said...

You are not alone, I lusted after a plasma for a while, then a friend told me how he inherited a widescreen CRT ( samsung) from a buddy of his who graduated to an HD LCD. Once I saw his freebie widescreen (he also owns an LCD panel) I remebered that Sony had an amazing CRT and started hunting one down.

I almost made the mistake of buying a KD-36XBR970 but reseaching it a bit more paid off and I found the 960 ( the REAL XBR) for $250 from a guy on craigslist in great condition. A co worker took my Sony KV27-XBR45 off my hands for $75 ( remote manual and even the infra red headset all still in tact -) which was a upgrade for him. ( My final cost was $175 , an adventure of driving to new hampshire and a sore back the next day after all was said and done and I'd do it again with no remorse)

Since then I've been bargain hunting for replacement audio gear and scored another killer deal on ebay - an Integra Research RDC 7 pre amp with the upgrades for just a few dollars over $400 . (originally $4000, it's still a very capable 7.1 THX ultra 2 pre-amp/processor) I'm in awe of the Sony KD-34XBR960 and I've been trying to get my friends to hunt around for one.

Its too good a TV to pass up for just a few hundred bucks. If you have the space for it , it's amazing. so it's only 1080i and is deep and heavy, Movies and games (xbox 360) look incredible and with the new audio gear, I'm all set for the indoors this winter. One man's trash is truly another man's treasure, and I have no problem being the garbage man :)

Unknown said...

I'm currently trying to find that exact TV on craigslist. From what I understand, the KD-34XBR960 and the KD-34XS955 are nearly identical image quality wise. The 960 just has some extra features like Picture in Picture (PIP) and a "10 Bit Comb Filter". I have no idea what that comb filter business is but I want it nonetheless haha.

Best of luck with your XBRs!

Martyn said...

I just got a 34XBR910 after my 32 inch Olevia LCD was stolen. I LOVE IT! Especially for $150. I did a DIY calibration made an already great picture even better.

Unknown said...

i have a perfect Sony KD-34XBR960 and want to sell it. located in santa fe. $450. email themag1@aol.com or adv.themag@gmail.com or 505-424-7641, ask for guy

Post a Comment